Scuffle in Sikh Light Infantry unit leaves two injured
New Delhi: Officers and soldiers of the Sikh Light Infantry clashed in Meerut today, leaving two officers including the second-in-command of the unit injured.
The incident took place in the 10 Sikh Light Infantry regiment during an inter-company boxing match there, sources said here.
The Army Headquarters said a Brigadier-level officer has been tasked to conduct a Court of Inquiry into the clash.
The Lt Col, who is the second-in-command of the unit, has been hospitalised in the local military health facility after he was beaten up by the jawans after they felt they were being discriminated against, the sources said.
Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh also belongs to the Sikh LI regiment. The 10 Sikh LI is based in Delhi and is in Meerut for practice, Army officials said.
The Army tried to downplay the incident, saying in contact sports such as boxing, emotions and passions run high and sometimes result in such clashes and officers and men have not been separated.
In the last couple of years, the number of clashes between officers and jawans has gone up considerably.
On August 8, 2012, jawans agitated against the commanding officer and certain functionaries of the 16 cavalry unit in Samba, while on May 10-11, 2012, a case of manhandling involving officers and other ranks of the 226 artillery unit took place at the Mahe field firing range in Leh, he said.
On April 29, 2010, an altercation had taken place between an officer and a jawan of the 45 cavalry unit in Gurdaspur.
The army has already taken steps against its personnel in these cases and more than 200 officers and jawans have faced disciplinary or administrative action last year.
After incidents of clashes between officers and jawans, Army commanders have been told to exercise zero tolerance in such cases and exemplary punishment is promulgated to give "necessary preventive lessons" to the personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India