Sealing of cell towers to start in a day or two
New Delhi: The MCD is all set to start
sealing action against unauthorised cell towers in areas under
its jurisdiction in a couple of days, after a deadline for
operators to apply for regularisation expired last week.
The civic agency is planning to first target those towers
whose owners have not at all applied for regularisation.
At the same time, to discuss other issues and demands of
operators who are seeking regularisation but are opposed to
the hiked installation charges, a meeting will be held
tomorrow among top MCD officials, the city Mayor and members
of the operators` association.
Officials said the sealing action is in all likelihood
starting in a couple of days, though it will be subject to
availability of police force which will escort the sealing
teams during the drive.
In an weekly review meeting of all additional
commissioners, zonal deputy commissioners and Chief Engineers
held today, Municipal Commissioner K S Mehra directed the DCs
to start sealing action, the MCD said in a statement.
Following formulation and subsequent implementation of a
new policy for cell towers, owners of unauthorised towers were
given a time period of one month to obtain permission from MCD
which had expired on Friday.
There are 5,364 cell towers within MCD`s jurisdiction.
Out of these, 2412 have been erected with permission from MCD
and 2952 are illegal. MCD has already issued show-cause notice
in case of 1,532 cell towers. It has sealed about 300 cell
towers in past few months. However, 41 cell towers were
de-sealed on compliance of formalities.
The new cellular tower policy was approved by the MCD
House on March 16. According to the revised guidelines for
cell towers, the amount payable by the service providers to
MCD for installing a tower has been increased from the present
Rs one lakh to Rs 5 lakh.
Officials said a number of operators are unwilling to pay
the hiked installation charge.
Mayor Prithvi Raj Sawhney said in a meeting with cell
tower operators tomorrow all issues will be discussed and a
solution will be arrived at.
"We do not want connectivity to be affected. People
should not suffer. That is why we have extended the deadline
for operators several times. But that they should not take it
as our weakness," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM