Security at Kumbh tightened after Afzal Guru’s hanging
Allahabad: Security at the Kumbh Mela, where millions of Hindus and others have congregated, was further tightened on Saturday as Afzal Guru, convicted for his central role in the attack on the Indian parliament over 11 years ago, was hanged at the Tihar Jail in New Delhi.
Heavy security was clamped in the 58 sq. km. premises, with police blockades added at vantage points. Central forces were deployed at important places as hundreds and thousands of people are entering the city from various places.
Mela administration officials said that the number are likely to swell by midnight, a day before the main royal bathing day on Mauni Amavasya.
Plying of boats, ferrying devotees from one bank to another has also been stopped across the Sangam confluence as a boat overturned at the VIP ghat Saturday morning.
While no one was hurt as divers immediately rescued people on it, the administration clamped a ban of boats.
Four wheelers have been completely banned in the mela premises and people with valid vehicle passes are also being stopped a few kilometres before the campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic