Security at Kumbh tightened after Afzal Guru’s hanging
Allahabad: Security at the Kumbh Mela, where millions of Hindus and others have congregated, was further tightened on Saturday as Afzal Guru, convicted for his central role in the attack on the Indian parliament over 11 years ago, was hanged at the Tihar Jail in New Delhi.
Heavy security was clamped in the 58 sq. km. premises, with police blockades added at vantage points. Central forces were deployed at important places as hundreds and thousands of people are entering the city from various places.
Mela administration officials said that the number are likely to swell by midnight, a day before the main royal bathing day on Mauni Amavasya.
Plying of boats, ferrying devotees from one bank to another has also been stopped across the Sangam confluence as a boat overturned at the VIP ghat Saturday morning.
While no one was hurt as divers immediately rescued people on it, the administration clamped a ban of boats.
Four wheelers have been completely banned in the mela premises and people with valid vehicle passes are also being stopped a few kilometres before the campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!