Security at Kumbh tightened after Afzal Guru’s hanging
Allahabad: Security at the Kumbh Mela, where millions of Hindus and others have congregated, was further tightened on Saturday as Afzal Guru, convicted for his central role in the attack on the Indian parliament over 11 years ago, was hanged at the Tihar Jail in New Delhi.
Heavy security was clamped in the 58 sq. km. premises, with police blockades added at vantage points. Central forces were deployed at important places as hundreds and thousands of people are entering the city from various places.
Mela administration officials said that the number are likely to swell by midnight, a day before the main royal bathing day on Mauni Amavasya.
Plying of boats, ferrying devotees from one bank to another has also been stopped across the Sangam confluence as a boat overturned at the VIP ghat Saturday morning.
While no one was hurt as divers immediately rescued people on it, the administration clamped a ban of boats.
Four wheelers have been completely banned in the mela premises and people with valid vehicle passes are also being stopped a few kilometres before the campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside