Security at Kumbh tightened after Afzal Guru’s hanging
Allahabad: Security at the Kumbh Mela, where millions of Hindus and others have congregated, was further tightened on Saturday as Afzal Guru, convicted for his central role in the attack on the Indian parliament over 11 years ago, was hanged at the Tihar Jail in New Delhi.
Heavy security was clamped in the 58 sq. km. premises, with police blockades added at vantage points. Central forces were deployed at important places as hundreds and thousands of people are entering the city from various places.
Mela administration officials said that the number are likely to swell by midnight, a day before the main royal bathing day on Mauni Amavasya.
Plying of boats, ferrying devotees from one bank to another has also been stopped across the Sangam confluence as a boat overturned at the VIP ghat Saturday morning.
While no one was hurt as divers immediately rescued people on it, the administration clamped a ban of boats.
Four wheelers have been completely banned in the mela premises and people with valid vehicle passes are also being stopped a few kilometres before the campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi