Security personnel relieved as Anna ends fast
New Delhi: It was a daunting task for the hundreds of paramilitary and Delhi Police personnel guarding the Ramlila Ground with many of them admitting that it was an "overwhelming" experience. With Anna Hazare on Sunday breaking his fast for a strong anti-graft bill after 288 hours, most of them breathed a sigh of relief.
Many of the security personnel admitted that they had not seen such large crowds ever and it was a tough challenge to manage them and keeping their cool despite a few untoward incidents including one where policemen were attacked by some drunkards.
"I`ve never seen so many people gathered at one place creating so much noise. It has been an overwhelming experience for me," said a constable of a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) battalion from Punjab.
Agreed a Delhi Police constable, "It has definitely been a tough assignment with so much going on all around. We were controlling crowds, traffic, looking after VIP movement etc."
"It was like a nightmare but we are very relieved now," he added.
According to the paramilitary personnel, they had arrived in Delhi from various states ahead of Aug 15 (Independence Day) but had to stay back due to Hazare`s agitation.
"We were supposed to leave after Independence Day but our posting was extending to guard the ground," said a CRPF constable posted in Jammu and Kashmir.
Asked about the incident when a group of drunken men attacked some of their colleagues, the policemen said that though they were prepared for such incidents, it was the "orders from seniors" that held them back.
"I won`t allow anyone to hit me with no reason. Moreover, it is illegal to hit a policeman on duty but we had orders to practice constraint and were asked to roam about without our lathis (batons)," said the constable.
"It is not a big deal that few miscreants attacked some of us. We`ve seen worst. This was a very peaceful agitation," said Delhi Police head constable, Parmeshwar Rawat.
However, there were some who remained unaffected like traffic constable Radhe Tiwari who was one of the many officers managing traffic outside the sprawling Maidan.
"We are used to handling such traffic during political rallies and festivals so this is nothing new," he said.
About 500 security personnel were in charge of guarding the ground along with bomb disposal and sniffer dog squads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened