Security tight, increased vigil across India ahead of R-day
New Delhi: A ground-to-air security apparatus will be in place in the Capital where one of the highest ever deployment of 15,000 police and paramilitary personnel will secure the 8-km route of the main parade, as a tight security dragnet was thrown across the country for the 61st Republic Day celebrations on Tuesday.
Air Force bases in and around the national capital were put on high alert coinciding with a terror alert by the Union government about possible threats from Pakistan-based
Lashkar-e-Taiba(LeT) following reports that the terror outfit has procured 50 paragliders for air-borne suicide attacks.
Unprecedented vigil has been mounted in the border state of Jammu and Kashmir where the state Police seized a huge cache of arms and explosives, including 10 kg of RDX and 100 grenades, in Baramulla district today foiling a terror plot.
Security at sensitive installations and other public transport systems in Mumbai were also intensified. With memories of 26/11 strikes still fresh, the western metropolis
was put on high alert and special security drills carried out at all the entry and exit points of the city.
In New Delhi, Mobile hit teams, anti-aircraft guns and sharpshooters of the elite National Security Guards will be deployed at various places while paramilitary and Delhi Police
commandos keep a close watch on the parade route from Vijay Chowk to Red Fort.
Snipers will be deployed at high-rise buildings while a total of 105 CCTVs have been installed to keep a watch on movement of people between Rajpath and Red Fort.
Patrolling around sensitive installations and crowded market areas, railway stations, airports and bus terminals across the country were also beefed up.
All the North-East states were put on high alert and tight security in place following a call for a boycott of the Republic day given by some militant outfits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Plea seeks imposition of Governor's rule in J&K; SC to hear matter next week
- Asthma breakthrough? Scientists find novel way to prevent the disease!
- 'Madaari' movie review: Irrfan Khan displays brilliance in this thought provoking tale
- Thai cops question UK journalist`s wife over `royal insult`
- Pokemon Go debuts in the country where Pokemon was born!