Send all-party delegation to Bangladesh, BJP demands in RS
New Delhi: A demand was raised by BJP in Rajya Sabha today for sending an all-party delegation to Bangladesh to assess the "atrocities on Hindus" there by Jamaat-e-Islami.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Tarun Vijay (BJP) said atrocities were being committed on Hindus, who have been reduced to only nine per cent of the population now from 28 per cent at the time of creation of Bangladesh.
"Hindus are subjected to severe atrocities...They are being killed, forced to take refuge in India, and their abandoned properties are seized after being declared as wasteful property," he said.
He lauded the recent Shabag uprising saying it was a display of secular democratic forces that all Hindus, Muslims, Christians and Bengalis were Bangladeshis.
Vijay said Jamaat-e-Islami had sided with Pakistan during 1971 war and later when three of their leaders were hanged, scores of Hindus killed, women raped and murdered and the atrocities were still continuing in retaliation.
Chandan Mitra (BJP) seeking government intervention said, "Situation is explosive at this juncture in Bangladesh. Jamaat-e-Islami, backed by Pakistan and ISI and Huji, was creating a situation were Hindus and Buddhists were subjected to atrocities and 78 Buddhist places were torched."
Mitra, who had accompanied President Pranab Mukherjee to the neighbouring nation during his recent visit, said the delegation held talks about the situation with the authorities there.
Party colleague Ravi Shankar Prasad said it was violation of human rights in Bangladesh and demanded a response from the government.
To this, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said, "I will convey the feelings of the House to External Affairs Minister and he will give a response."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living