Several economic ministries see change of guard
New Delhi: Key economic ministries such as Power, Petroleum and Corporate Affairs saw a change of guard, with new ministers assuming charge on Monday.
Veerappa Moily took over as Petroleum Minister, while Sachin Pilot and Jyotiraditya Scindia assumed charge of Ministry of Corporate Affairs and Power Ministry, respectively.
The other ministers with economic portfolios, who took charge today, include K H Muniappa, Minister of State for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, and Rajeev Shukla, Minister of State for Planning.
Moily promised quick decisions and an environment conducive for investment to flow in.
Moily, who replaced S Jaipal Reddy, said his priority would be to intensify domestic oil and gas exploration to reduce import dependence that had played havoc with inflation.
Scindia, a young Congress MP from Madhya Pradesh, said that the new job is a "daunting" challenge.
"It is a daunting challenge and I look forward to support and guidance from both my ministry officials and my colleagues in the other departments," Scindia told reporters after taking the charge.
He said power is an extremely strategic and important sector for the country`s economy.
The new Corporate Affairs Minister, Pilot, said trust and credibility of government as well as institutions should be maintained at all costs, and emphasised upon the need for creating a culture of transparency in governance.
The new Minister of State for Commerce and Industry, D Purendeswari, came to office but said she would take charge "formally" after meeting Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma tomorrow.
"I will first meet Sharma and after that only I will take charge formally," she told reporters.
After taking charge as the new MSME Minister, Muniyappa sought to allay fears of FDI hurting home-grown small enterprises.
Journalist-turned politician Shukla said development in the Naxal-affected areas would be his top priority to promote inclusive growth during the 12th Plan (2012-17).
Kruparani Killi assumed charge as Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!