Sexual assault case: Scribe, photographer attacked at Asaram ashram
Indore: A journalist and a photographer attached with a Hindi daily were allegedly roughed up by volunteers at controversial self- styled godman Asaram Bapu`s ashram here on Sunday, police said.
The correspondent of the daily and the photographer had gone to the ashram located on Khandwa Road this afternoon to cover an agitation, reportedly by supporters of Asaram, following his arrest after midnight in connection with the sexual assault case.
According to sources, a manager of the Ashram, who is yet to be identified, and two volunteers abused the duo and assaulted them. They also allegedly snatched the camera.
Police filed a case under section 394 (voluntarily causing hurt in committing robbery) of IPC against unknown persons based on the complaint of the reporter and are trying to ascertain their identity.
When contacted by PTI, ashram director Mukesh expressed regret over the incident but did not elaborate if the duo was manhandled.
"The journalists were trying to force their entry into the Ashram. When our sevadars tried to stop them, an altercation ensued. However, we express regret over the incident," he said.
Meanwhile, state Congress spokesperson Narendra Saluja said the incident was tantamount to "an attack on the freedom of expression".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch