Shiv Sena wants BJP to declare PM candidate now
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In more trouble for the BJP, the Shiv Sena on Wednesday demanded that the decision on NDA’s prime ministerial candidate must be taken soon.
The editorial in party mouthpiece Saamna asked the BJP top brass to clear its stand on the issue. Noting that a group within the BJP has been advancing the name of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, the Sena stressed that Modi may emerge as BJP’s PM candidate but the final call will be taken by the NDA. The Uddhav Thackeray led party also warned the BJP against taking its support for granted.
In an apparent reference to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, the editorial further says that while naming the PM candidate may get the BJP five to 10 extra seats, some old allies will leave costing the NDA as many as 25 seats.
Putting pressure on the BJP, the Sena said that an NDA meeting should be called soon to decide on the matter.
Clearly, the Shiv Sena is not too enthusiastic about the Gujarat CM being projected as the NDA`s PM face. Earlier, party chief Uddhav Thackeray was quoted as saying: "We aren`t sure whether we will back Modi. When Balasaheb (Thackeray) had voiced his support for Sushma Swaraj, Modi was not in the race. The NDA should decide on someone."
Shiv Sena came out in the open over the issue days after a veiled threat by Janata Dal (United) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar against projecting Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
JD(U) later gave an eight-month deadline to the BJP to declare its prime ministerial candidate having "secular credibility beyond doubt" for the next general election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in