Shyam Saran to get Minister of State rank
New Delhi: Shyam Saran, Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh`s special envoy on climate change, will soon
get the rank of Minister of State, a status that was given to
Shiv Shankar Menon when he was recently appointed National
An official order is likely to be issued soon, PMO sources
Saran is a former Foreign Secretary and was three years
senior to Menon in the Foreign Service from which both
retired. Menon retired as Foreign Secretary late last year.
With climate change issue taking a centrestage in the
international arena, the Prime Minister was keen on
redesignating Saran, a 1970 batch IFS officer, to carry
forward country`s climate diplomacy.
Menon`s predecessor M K Narayanan, who is now Governor
of West Bengal, also held the rank of MOS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say