Shyam Saran to get Minister of State rank
New Delhi: Shyam Saran, Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh`s special envoy on climate change, will soon
get the rank of Minister of State, a status that was given to
Shiv Shankar Menon when he was recently appointed National
An official order is likely to be issued soon, PMO sources
Saran is a former Foreign Secretary and was three years
senior to Menon in the Foreign Service from which both
retired. Menon retired as Foreign Secretary late last year.
With climate change issue taking a centrestage in the
international arena, the Prime Minister was keen on
redesignating Saran, a 1970 batch IFS officer, to carry
forward country`s climate diplomacy.
Menon`s predecessor M K Narayanan, who is now Governor
of West Bengal, also held the rank of MOS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing