Shyam Saran to get Minister of State rank
New Delhi: Shyam Saran, Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh`s special envoy on climate change, will soon
get the rank of Minister of State, a status that was given to
Shiv Shankar Menon when he was recently appointed National
An official order is likely to be issued soon, PMO sources
Saran is a former Foreign Secretary and was three years
senior to Menon in the Foreign Service from which both
retired. Menon retired as Foreign Secretary late last year.
With climate change issue taking a centrestage in the
international arena, the Prime Minister was keen on
redesignating Saran, a 1970 batch IFS officer, to carry
forward country`s climate diplomacy.
Menon`s predecessor M K Narayanan, who is now Governor
of West Bengal, also held the rank of MOS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out
- She's just 8 months old but parents want mercy killing: Read her story