Shyam Saran to get Minister of State rank
New Delhi: Shyam Saran, Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh`s special envoy on climate change, will soon
get the rank of Minister of State, a status that was given to
Shiv Shankar Menon when he was recently appointed National
An official order is likely to be issued soon, PMO sources
Saran is a former Foreign Secretary and was three years
senior to Menon in the Foreign Service from which both
retired. Menon retired as Foreign Secretary late last year.
With climate change issue taking a centrestage in the
international arena, the Prime Minister was keen on
redesignating Saran, a 1970 batch IFS officer, to carry
forward country`s climate diplomacy.
Menon`s predecessor M K Narayanan, who is now Governor
of West Bengal, also held the rank of MOS.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev