Sibal slams Advani`s remarks on UPA-II
New Delhi: LK Advani`s remarks dubbing UPA-II as "illegitimate" on Wednesday drew the ire of HRD Minister Kapil Sibal who said the statement only reflected the "mental agony" of the BJP leader.
"You can`t call governments illegitimate because governments are elected by the people of the country and it is an upfront both to Parliament and people of India. But we understand that the suffering of NDA, and particularly BJP for having lost on consecutive two terms," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
Sibal said the statement only reflectd the "mental agony" of Advani over the years.
"It is a very unfortunate statement. I hope that the suffering will be reduced and he will not have to make such a statement to make a point in Parliament," he said.
Advani today created a storm in the Lok Sabha by dubbing UPA-II as "illegitimate" but withdrew it after strong protests from Congress.
The Minister said political parties should get together to resolve the crisis in Assam rather than disturb Parliament and "misquote facts of history to reflect that you are not quite sure of what you have to say."
Law Minister Salman Khurshid said Advani`s remarks are "unacceptable" in terms of Parliamentary procedure."
"I sincerely hope that Advani being a very senior Parliamentarian and a very senior leader would reflect upon it."
Referring to violence in Assam, he said this is a very tragic moment for scoring political point. "I think this is a moment for national reconciliation and whatever be a strong feelings which anybody holds we should put them forward in a manner which lead to reconciliation rather than more differences."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India