Singapore releases detained SCI ship Desh Vaibav
New Delhi: Shipping Corporation of India`s tanker Desh Vaibhav, which was detained by Singapore authorities over some dispute last week, has been released, an official said.
"The very large crude carrier (VLCC)- Desh Vaibhav, a 316,217 deadweight tonne (dwt) vessel built in 2005, was detained by authorities in Singapore over some charter party dispute last week and has been released," an SCI official told a news agency.
The official said the vessel was released after the due payment by the party concerned and now "she has sailed to Basrah for lifting cargo for Reliance Industries, which is the next charterer of the ship."
The official made it clear that there was no dispute concerning Shipping Corporation and the matter has been resorted. The vessel was released on Saturday, the official added.
Charter party is a contract by which the owner of a ship lets it to others for use in transporting a cargo. The shipowner continues to control the navigation and management of the vessel, but its carrying capacity is engaged by the charterer.
The development comes close on heels of Iran detaining SCI vessel - MT Desh Shanti on August 12 and releasing it after 26 days on September 6 on alleged pollution concerns.
India has already petitioned international maritime body IOMOU saying the detention of the ship by Iran at Bandar Abbas Port on grounds of alleged pollution was wrong.
Acting on the complaint, the IOMOU has already formed a Detention Review Committee, which is likely to come up with its report next month.
India had strongly objected to the detention by Iran, saying it was a "colourable" exercise in transgression of UN convention on the Laws of the Sea and warned of serious ramifications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them