Singer Jaspinder Narula joins AAP Party
New Delhi: Noted singer Jaspinder Narula, who won the Filmfare Best Female playback award in 1999 for the superhit song "Pyar To Hona Hi Tha", on Monday joined the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
"I was recently working on a project based on the life of freedom fighter (V D) Savarakar and I was highly influenced by him. The freedom fighters have done so much for the country and even I felt like contributing to the country.
It was then I decided to take a plunge into politics and AAP was a natual option," said Narula who has also sung in hit films like "Mission Kashmir", "Mohabbatein", "Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani" and "Bunty Aur Babli".
Announcing her entry into the party, Sanjay Singh, senior party leader and Political Affairs Committee (PAC) member, said that the singer would help in strengthening the party base in Punjab.
The party also welcomed General (retd) P C Panjikar and activist Geeta Arya from Bihar, and Anil Kumar Banfore, also a social activist, from Jharkhand into the party fold.
Panjikar, who worked in the Indian Army for more than 40 years and also headed the operations of the Western Command said, "After serving the country, this is just another mediuum to carry forward the work."
He has expressed interest to contest from Banka in Bihar -- his home state. "It is for the party to decide on whether it wants me to contest elections or nor," Panjikar said.
In an another desertion from the JDU, activist and party leader Geeta Arya joined the party.
Targeting Bihar Chief Minister Arya said, "Nitish (Kumar) has done very little for the Mahadalits," said Arya, who was the Pradesh secretary of Mahadalit Sanghatan.
Anil Kumar Basfore, another social activist from Dhanbad in Jharkhand, has also joined the party. He is known for his coaching of students in martial arts in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional