Situation on border with Pak tense: Army
Jhangar LoC (Rajouri): Firing, ceasefire violations and infiltration attempts from across the border have increased and the situation along the LoC is tense, the Army said on Wednesday.
"The situation on the border (with Pakistan) is tense but under control," General Officer Commanding (GOC) 16 Corps, Lt Gen D S Hooda, told reporters here.
"Firing (from across the border) has increased in the past two to three months. Ceasefire violations have increased. The situation on the border is tense," he said.
The GOC was replying to a volley of questions on the situation along LoC on the sidelines of a function to remember Brigadier Mohd Usman who attained martyrdom while defending the country during 1947-48 operations in Naoshera sector.
"Whatever you say on the ground is true. Infiltration attempts are going on. Two attempts -- one in Keri (Rajouri) and another in Poonch have been foiled recently," Lt Gen Hooda said.
"Infiltrators are now attacking our security forces, targeting our posts more openly as they are desperate to infiltrate.
"But in Kashmir, they are able to infiltrate because of heavy snowfall which damages the fencing erected for checking infiltration," he said.
"Attack on security forces to inflict more and more casualties is the new strategy of infiltrators," the army officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre