Smaller version of BrahMos missile being developed
New Delhi: Indo-Russian joint venture firm BrahMos Aerospace today said it is developing a smaller version of the 290-km supersonic cruise missile for enabling its deployment on submarines and smaller fighter aircraft such as MiG 29K.
Addressing a gathering while launching his book `The Path Unexplored`, BrahMos Aerospace chief A Sivathanu Pillai said the firm was preparing for the test-firing of the air- launched version of the missile by the end of this year.
"The BrahMos-Mini would be developed by reducing the size of the booster and the engine and reducing its weight. The missile would then be ready for deployment on submarines and smaller fighter aircraft," he said.
Pillai, who has been the BrahMos chief for the last 15 years, said the joint venture is working towards getting the missile fitted on the planned Indo-Russian Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft and smaller warplanes such as the MiG 29K of the Navy.
He said modifications are being done by HAL on the Su-30MKI aircraft for firing of the air-launched version of the missile and significant progress has been made in developing its launcher and other related systems.
Pillai said despite a ban in Russia on induction of any weapon system produced outside the country, President Vladimir Putin was working towards ensuring that the BrahMos missiles are inducted into the Russian forces.
Asked if banning import of weapon systems would help India to develop its own systems, he said such a mechanism can help the country as Indian scientists have developed several systems on their own during the era of restrictions.
He said the BrahMos Aerospace was set up with a capital of USD 300 million and today it has orders worth over USD 6 billion for supplying systems to all the three Services.
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation - Part II
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- Chopper scam: Willing to come to India and face probe, says AgustaWestland middleman Christian James Michel
- Pro-Afzal event at JNU: Kanhaiya Kumar, others begin indefinite strike against punishment
- Meghalaya CM's wife, Sangma's son file nomination papers for Tura Lok Sabha bypoll
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks