Solicitor Gen offers to resign, Law Min rejects it
New Delhi: In a surprise development,
Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam on Sunday offered to resign,
apparently upset over a government move to hire a private
lawyer to represent Telecom Ministry in the 2G scam case.
Subramaniam is understood to have spoken to Law Minister
Veerappa Moily to make the offer of resignation but the latter
rejected it, sources said here.
The sources said Subramaniam was apparently unhappy over
a move to hire a private lawyer to represent Telecom Ministry
in the 2G scam case in the Supreme Court.
Subramaniam is said to have felt slighted by the move,
the sources said.
The Solicitor General had in November last year come
under fire from the government after Supreme Court asked it to
file an affidavit on alleged "inaction" by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh in preventing the then Telecom Minister A Raja
from allocating 2G spectrum in a controversial manner.
Subramaniam had sought to be dismissive about it but the
government has subsequently asked Attorney General G E
Vahanvati to represent the Prime Minister in the apex Court in
place of the Solicitor General.
Subramaniam continued to represent Department of
The government had also inducted eminent lawyer K K
Venugopal to represent CBI along with Additional Solicitor
General Haren Raval.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel
- Conversion of forest land the reason behind weakening of monsoon: Research