Somali pirates placed under arrest, to face Indian law
New Delhi: The 15 Somali pirates who were
apprehended by the Indian Navy following a gunbattle off the
coast of Lakshadweep Islands were being taken to Mumbai for
"They (pirates) are being brought to Mumbai and their
interrogation would take place there on Monday," said
Commander PVS Satish, the naval spokesperson.
The pirates were caught after the Thailand-registered
`Prantalay` which was being used by them was intercepted by
Navy`s Fast Attack Craft (FAC) INS Canskaro on Friday in the
The pirates were using the Thai fishing trawler as
`mother-ship` which they had hijacked some times back.
On being chased and apprehended by the fast attack
naval craft, the pirates jumped overboard.
During interrogation the naval officials, police and
intelligence officials would try to ascertain their
Meanwhile, the crew member of the hijacked fishing
trawler - Myanmarese and Thai nationals- are being taken to
Kochi for questioning after which they would be sent back to
The crew was rescued by INS Cankarso after they too
jumped in the waters during the military action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred