Something happened somewhere in chopper deal, says Antony
New Delhi: Suggesting some wrongdoing had happened in the VVIP chopper procurement, Defence Minister AK Antony on Tuesday said "something happened somewhere" in the Rs 3,600 crore deal for 12 helicopters.
"We have followed all the procedures. In spite of taking all precautions by all of us including the ministry, IAF, SPG. In spite of that one thing is clear that something happened somewhere," he told a press conference here.
The Minister was commenting on the developments in the government probe in the alleged chopper scam in which 51 million Euros were allegedly paid to swing the deal in favour of Finmeccanica.
The Minister said the government had initiated action against the Italian firm after the arrest of its CEO Giuseppe Orsi and AgustaWestland CEO Bruno Spagnolini by Italian investigators.
The Ministry has initiated the process to scrap the deal for the Anglo-Italian AW-101 choppers, three of which have already arrived here for the purpose of ferrying VVIPs.
The deal was signed in 2010 and the government has already paid around Rs 1,200 crore of the Rs 3,600 crore for the 12 choppers but has put on hold any further payment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Ram Jethamalani, Lalu's daughter Misa Bharti file nominations for Rajya Sabha from RJD
- AIB's Tanmay Bhat in trouble as MNS files complaint against him over video on Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar
- Incredible! This leaning Shiva Temple in Varanasi is partially submerged in Ganga
- Banks checking loan applicant's capacity to repay on Facebook, LinkedIn
- Uganda switches sides, dumping North Korea for South