Sonia Gandhi holds Iftar, shares table with Sharad Yadav, Lalu
New Delhi: Sonia Gandhi on Sunday hosted her first Iftar in three years, which saw the Congress president sharing a table with leaders of RJD and its new-found ally JD(U).
RJD chief Lalu Prasad and JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav were seated with Sonia Gandhi at the Iftar which was also attended by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.
While Rahul was seated with diplomats, Singh was on a separate table with former Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi and cine star Sharmila Tagore among others.
Sonia sought Singh to her table where NCP leader Tariq Anwar was also seated, but the former Prime Minister went to his designated place.
The fast-breaking feast during Ramzan is only the second big Iftar hosted this season after the one by President Pranab Mukherjee last week.
The Iftar by Gandhi, who did not hold the feast during last three years because of natural disaster or tragedy in the country, was organised at Ashoka Hotel and attended by political leaders, academicians, diplomats, religious leaders and journalists.
Those in attendance included former External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Ambika Soni, JD-U`s Prem Chand Gupta, Sonia Gandhi`s political secretary Ahmed Patel, Ajay Maken, Motilal Vora, Digvijay Singh, Jairam Ramesh, Anand Sharma, Shakeel Ahmed, Rajeev Shukla, Kumari Selja, Mohsina Kidwai, Karan Singh, CLP chief in Delhi Assembly Haroon Yusuf, DPCC president Arvinder Singh Lovely, Raj Babbar, Mohammed Azaharuddin and Mani Shankar Aiyar.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad was also present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore