SP not sure how long it will support UPA
New Delhi: Seeking to adopt a wait and watch attitude on its future strategy in the wake of Trinamool Congress` decision to withdraw support to UPA, Samajwadi Party today said while its supports the ruling dispensation as of now, it cannot say for how long it will continue.
"As of today, we support the Congress-led alliance. But for how long it will continue, I cannot say. What will happen in future will be decided by the party leadership," Ramgopal Yadav, SP General Secretary, told News Agencies.
On the issue of mid-term polls, he said, "Mid term polls can happen even if the government is in majority. Congress leaders like Digvijay Singh have also said the country is heading for-mid term polls. We are set to announce our candidates in a couple of days (for 2014 LS elections)."
To a question on whether government will concede to the protests by opposition parties and allies on the issue of FDI in retail, diesel price hike and cap on LPG cylinders, Yadav said government has on several occasions said that it will move ahead with its policies but had to backtrack.
He also said that as an ally, SP had the right to protest "wrongdoings" of the government.
Meanwhile, sources in the party said the Mulayam Singh Yadav-led party would not like to make its strategy public before October 10 when its arch-rival BSP is likely to make its stand public on the issue of supporting the UPA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145