SP protests in LS, RS on quota issue
New Delhi: An unrelenting Samajwadi Party on Monday triggered protests in the Lok Sabha on the bill providing for quota in promotions and created uproar in the Rajya Sabha demanding reservation for Muslims.
The Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day without transacting any significant business, as it witnessed repeated disruptions by SP members.
SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, who has threatened to review support to the UPA coalition, led the protest in the Lok Sabha as party members stormed the Well repeatedly to oppose the move.
Yadav`s party, which has 22 members in the Lok Sabha and is a key outside supporter of the UPA, made a strong pitch in the Rajya Sabha for reservation in jobs for Muslims contending that the Sachar Committee report showed their plight was worse than that of Dalits.
The SP protest showed that Uttar Pradesh politics cast its shadow on Parliament as the Bill for providing quota for reservation in promotions in state jobs was brought forward following pressure from arch-detractor BSP.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath tried to calm nerves by talking to Yadav between the adjournments. At one point, the discussion between Yadav and Nath turned into an impromptu all-party meeting with members of several parties joining in.
"The Rajya Sabha is debating this matter. If and when this Bill will be passed by the Rajya Sabha (it will come to this House)," Nath said.
The Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day after four adjournments which also saw several Congress members staging counter protests and demanding bringing the Bill for quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs.
In the Rajya Sabha, debate resumed on the Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill.
Soon after the House met, SP members, led by Shailendra Kumar, trooped into the Well saying a large number of government employees were on strike following anxiety over the bill providing for quotas to SC/ST in promotions in government jobs.
Yogi Adityanath (BJP) was heard saying that a large number of government employees were facing anxious moments ever since the bill for quota in promotion was taken up by Parliament.
AIADMK members were seen raising the issue of cable TV networks in Tamil Nadu.
However, as members were unrelenting Speaker Meira Kumar first adjourned the House till 11:30 am and later till noon.
Similar scenes were witnessed when the House re-assembled at noon and Francisco Sardihna, who was in the Chair, adjourned the proceedings till 2 pm after laying of papers.
The House witnessed sloganeering when it met at 2:00 PM leading to adjournment for an hour and later for the day.
Samajwadi Party has been opposing stridently government`s move to introduce quota in promotion in government jobs.
Two members of the SP, who were disrupting proceedings in the Rajya Sabha on the issue last week, were asked to withdraw from the House. The party had staged a walkout on the issue in the Rajya Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'