SP protests in LS, RS on quota issue
New Delhi: An unrelenting Samajwadi Party on Monday triggered protests in the Lok Sabha on the bill providing for quota in promotions and created uproar in the Rajya Sabha demanding reservation for Muslims.
The Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day without transacting any significant business, as it witnessed repeated disruptions by SP members.
SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, who has threatened to review support to the UPA coalition, led the protest in the Lok Sabha as party members stormed the Well repeatedly to oppose the move.
Yadav`s party, which has 22 members in the Lok Sabha and is a key outside supporter of the UPA, made a strong pitch in the Rajya Sabha for reservation in jobs for Muslims contending that the Sachar Committee report showed their plight was worse than that of Dalits.
The SP protest showed that Uttar Pradesh politics cast its shadow on Parliament as the Bill for providing quota for reservation in promotions in state jobs was brought forward following pressure from arch-detractor BSP.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath tried to calm nerves by talking to Yadav between the adjournments. At one point, the discussion between Yadav and Nath turned into an impromptu all-party meeting with members of several parties joining in.
"The Rajya Sabha is debating this matter. If and when this Bill will be passed by the Rajya Sabha (it will come to this House)," Nath said.
The Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day after four adjournments which also saw several Congress members staging counter protests and demanding bringing the Bill for quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs.
In the Rajya Sabha, debate resumed on the Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill.
Soon after the House met, SP members, led by Shailendra Kumar, trooped into the Well saying a large number of government employees were on strike following anxiety over the bill providing for quotas to SC/ST in promotions in government jobs.
Yogi Adityanath (BJP) was heard saying that a large number of government employees were facing anxious moments ever since the bill for quota in promotion was taken up by Parliament.
AIADMK members were seen raising the issue of cable TV networks in Tamil Nadu.
However, as members were unrelenting Speaker Meira Kumar first adjourned the House till 11:30 am and later till noon.
Similar scenes were witnessed when the House re-assembled at noon and Francisco Sardihna, who was in the Chair, adjourned the proceedings till 2 pm after laying of papers.
The House witnessed sloganeering when it met at 2:00 PM leading to adjournment for an hour and later for the day.
Samajwadi Party has been opposing stridently government`s move to introduce quota in promotion in government jobs.
Two members of the SP, who were disrupting proceedings in the Rajya Sabha on the issue last week, were asked to withdraw from the House. The party had staged a walkout on the issue in the Rajya Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in