Special package for northeast, hill states: Sonia Gandhi
New Delhi: India should take out seven crore families out of poverty in the next 10 years, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi said Monday, while announcing that the government was preparing a special package for the northeast and hill states like Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
"In the next 10 years we have to bring seven crore families out of poverty. This is not an easy job," Gandhi said at a function to mark the Ajeevika Diwas here.
She said Ajeevika, or the National Rural Livelihoods Mission, had proved that social and economic changes could be brought about through women`s self help groups in villages.
"This shows that the Ajeevika mission needs to be implemented across the country with special focus on central and northern parts," she said.
"I am especially happy that through the mission we have been able to help women in Jammu and Kashmir."
She said a special package was being prepared for the northeast and hill states like Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
The National Rural Livelihoods Mission was launched by the ministry of rural development in June 2011. Aided in part by the World Bank, it aims at creating efficient and effective institutional platforms of the rural poor, enabling them to increase household income through sustainable livelihood enhancements and improved access to financial services.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference