Sri Lankan Tamil issue forces repeated adjournment
New Delhi: Parliament on Tuesday witnessed repeated adjournments during Question Hour as DMK and AIADMK disrupted proceedings in both the Houses on the issues of ethnic Tamils in Sri Lanka.
In the Lok Sabha, soon after Speaker Meira Kumar read out obituary references DMK, AIADMK and BJD members trooped into the Well raising slogans. BJD was protesting disinvestment of Nalco.
AIADMK, DMK, VCK and CPI members waved placards which read: `Try war criminal Rajabakse in International Court` and `We condemn the betrayal of India against Tamils in UNHRC`.
BJD members led by Arjun Charan Sethi also displayed placards which read: `Don`t Sell National Wealth, Stop Nalco Disinvestment`.
There was commotion in the House with some Trinamool Congress members seen in the aisles but it was not immediately clear what issue they were raising.
As the din continued, the Speaker adjourned the House till noon.
Rajya Sabha witnessed two adjourned before noon as DMK and AIADMK strongly raised the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils.
Immediately after the House met for the day, members of the two parties trooped into the Well shouting slogans.
BJD members moved into the aisles carrying banners against disinvestment of aluminum producer Nalco.
Chairman Hamid Ansari asked the members to take their seats and called for the first listed question of the day.
But, as members refused to budge from their position, Ansari adjourned the House for 15 minutes.
Similar scenes were witnessed when the House met again with members of the Tamil Nadu parties shouting, "We want justice." They carried posters of slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran`s son as they shouted slogans.
BJD members too displayed posters that said: "BJD Opposes Disinvestment of Nalco."
With members unrelenting, Ansari adjourned the House till noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof