States allocated Rs 1,800 cr under NFSM
New Delhi: The Centre has allocated over Rs 1,800 crore to states under the National Food Security Mission (NFSM) this year to raise foodgrains output by 25 million tonnes in the 12th Five Year Plan period.
Uttar Pradesh gets the maximum amount at Rs 276.9 crore, followed by Madhya Pradesh Rs 226.87 crore and Maharashtra Rs 196 crore, an official statement said here on Friday.
Other major beneficiaries included Andhra Pradesh (Rs 142.64 crore), Rajasthan (Rs 135.95 cr), Karnataka (Rs 104.83 cr) and Bihar (Rs 97.87 cr).
A mega scheme in the agriculture sector, NFSM was implemented in the 11th Five Year Plan with the target to raise rice production by 10 million tonnes, wheat by 8 million tonnes and pulses by 2 million tonnes.
The targets have been exceeded.
In the 12th Plan, starting this year, NFSM aims at raising the foodgrain production by 25 million tonnes. Besides rice, wheat and pulses, NFSM proposes to cover coarse cereals and fodder crops during the 12th plan period (2012-17).
NFSM has taken a focussed approach to raise productivity of these crops through various location-specific interventions. These include providing incentives to farmers to adopt improved inputs and technology packages suiting local soil and climatic conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price