States urged take steps to prevent child marriages
New Delhi: With an aim to prevent child
marriages, particularly on the occasion of Akshay Tritiya, the government has asked state governments to appoint prohibition
officers and take necessary steps to curb the practice.
"Government has written to state governments to appoint
prohibition officers under the Prohibition of Child Marriage
Act, frame rules and take steps to prevent child marriage,
particularly on the occasion of Akha Teej or Akshay Tritiya,"
Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath told the
Lok Sabha today.
The Centre has written to 17 state governments in this
regard, namely Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat,
Haryana, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Rajasthan, West
Bengal, Sikkim, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Karnataka,
Maharashtra, Tripura and Uttar Pradesh.
Tirath said that the National Commission for Women (NCW)
has requested the Chief Ministers to sensitise and gear up
concerned machinery against those involved in the practice of
"Workshops, seminars and legal awareness camps are
organised in various states including Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya
Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh to spread awareness and
bring attitudinal changes to prevent child marriage," she
As per the National Family Health Survey (NFHS)- III in
2005-06, the percentage of girls getting married by the age of
18 was the highest in Bihar at 63.7 per cent, followed by
Jharkhand with 60.2 per cent. The all India average was
recorded at 45.6 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead