Strong demand at Cong meet to raise cap on LPG cylinders
Surajkund (Haryana): A meeting of Congress leaders here on Friday heard a strong demand for raising the cap of subsidised LPG cylinders from the current six to 12, after which Petroleum Minister Veerappa Moily promised to hold talks with the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister on the issue.
The meeting of Union Ministers and party leaders was attended by Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here during which several issues concerning the government and the party were discussed.
Sources said there was near unanimity in the meeting that the government increase the cap of subsidised cooking gas cylinders from six to 12 a year.
Several leaders raised the issue of LPG cylinders at the meeting, prompting Moily to assure that he would hold talks with Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram in this regard.
"As the demand was raised, Moily said he would consider the demand and hold discussions in this regard with the Prime Minister and Finance Minister," the sources said.
The Centre had in September announced that a domestic consumer would get up to six subsidised LPG cylinders a year and that they would have to pay the market price for every additional cylinder.
In his speech, the Prime Minister admitted there were financial constraints but assured it would not affect the funding of social sector.
The sources said Singh also assured that the lack of funds would be met by investments, including FDI, in various sectors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!