Students hold `Freedom Parade` on Republic Day
New Delhi: Scores of protesters today staged a `Freedom Parade` to Jantar Mantar demanding gender equality and speedy implementation of recommendations of Justice Verma Committee which was set up after the Delhi gangrape incident.
The march started from Mandi House Metro Station at around 2:30 PM. The protesters, mostly students and women, were carrying placards and shouting slogans demanding "Bekhauf Azadi (Freedom Without Fear)" and justice.
The kilometer-long march traversed through various streets of Central Delhi before turning into a public meeting at Jantar Mantar.
The protesters then conferred `Mardangi Maryada Medal` to politicians and godmen for making "derogatory comments" against women.
Students from educational institutions like Delhi University, IGNOU, JNU and Jamia Milia Islamia took part in the protest. The protesters had come on a platform through Facebook group called "Freedom Without Fear - Bekhauf Azadi" to stage the protest in the capital on Republic Day in order to `Reclaim The Republic`-- as the placards read.
The march was supported by several student and women organisations including All India Progressive Women`s Association (AIPWA) and All India Student`s Association (AISA).
Kavita Krishnan, Secretary, All India Progressive Women`s Association, demanded strict laws to deal with crime against women and implementation of Justice Verma Committee recommendations which was appointed by the Centre to look into ways to check crime against women after a 23-year-old paramedical student was brutally raped and tortured on December 16 in a moving bus. She late died in a Singapore hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video