Students hold `Freedom Parade` on Republic Day
New Delhi: Scores of protesters today staged a `Freedom Parade` to Jantar Mantar demanding gender equality and speedy implementation of recommendations of Justice Verma Committee which was set up after the Delhi gangrape incident.
The march started from Mandi House Metro Station at around 2:30 PM. The protesters, mostly students and women, were carrying placards and shouting slogans demanding "Bekhauf Azadi (Freedom Without Fear)" and justice.
The kilometer-long march traversed through various streets of Central Delhi before turning into a public meeting at Jantar Mantar.
The protesters then conferred `Mardangi Maryada Medal` to politicians and godmen for making "derogatory comments" against women.
Students from educational institutions like Delhi University, IGNOU, JNU and Jamia Milia Islamia took part in the protest. The protesters had come on a platform through Facebook group called "Freedom Without Fear - Bekhauf Azadi" to stage the protest in the capital on Republic Day in order to `Reclaim The Republic`-- as the placards read.
The march was supported by several student and women organisations including All India Progressive Women`s Association (AIPWA) and All India Student`s Association (AISA).
Kavita Krishnan, Secretary, All India Progressive Women`s Association, demanded strict laws to deal with crime against women and implementation of Justice Verma Committee recommendations which was appointed by the Centre to look into ways to check crime against women after a 23-year-old paramedical student was brutally raped and tortured on December 16 in a moving bus. She late died in a Singapore hospital.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India