Students hold `Freedom Parade` on Republic Day
New Delhi: Scores of protesters today staged a `Freedom Parade` to Jantar Mantar demanding gender equality and speedy implementation of recommendations of Justice Verma Committee which was set up after the Delhi gangrape incident.
The march started from Mandi House Metro Station at around 2:30 PM. The protesters, mostly students and women, were carrying placards and shouting slogans demanding "Bekhauf Azadi (Freedom Without Fear)" and justice.
The kilometer-long march traversed through various streets of Central Delhi before turning into a public meeting at Jantar Mantar.
The protesters then conferred `Mardangi Maryada Medal` to politicians and godmen for making "derogatory comments" against women.
Students from educational institutions like Delhi University, IGNOU, JNU and Jamia Milia Islamia took part in the protest. The protesters had come on a platform through Facebook group called "Freedom Without Fear - Bekhauf Azadi" to stage the protest in the capital on Republic Day in order to `Reclaim The Republic`-- as the placards read.
The march was supported by several student and women organisations including All India Progressive Women`s Association (AIPWA) and All India Student`s Association (AISA).
Kavita Krishnan, Secretary, All India Progressive Women`s Association, demanded strict laws to deal with crime against women and implementation of Justice Verma Committee recommendations which was appointed by the Centre to look into ways to check crime against women after a 23-year-old paramedical student was brutally raped and tortured on December 16 in a moving bus. She late died in a Singapore hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand