Students hold `Freedom Parade` on Republic Day
New Delhi: Scores of protesters today staged a `Freedom Parade` to Jantar Mantar demanding gender equality and speedy implementation of recommendations of Justice Verma Committee which was set up after the Delhi gangrape incident.
The march started from Mandi House Metro Station at around 2:30 PM. The protesters, mostly students and women, were carrying placards and shouting slogans demanding "Bekhauf Azadi (Freedom Without Fear)" and justice.
The kilometer-long march traversed through various streets of Central Delhi before turning into a public meeting at Jantar Mantar.
The protesters then conferred `Mardangi Maryada Medal` to politicians and godmen for making "derogatory comments" against women.
Students from educational institutions like Delhi University, IGNOU, JNU and Jamia Milia Islamia took part in the protest. The protesters had come on a platform through Facebook group called "Freedom Without Fear - Bekhauf Azadi" to stage the protest in the capital on Republic Day in order to `Reclaim The Republic`-- as the placards read.
The march was supported by several student and women organisations including All India Progressive Women`s Association (AIPWA) and All India Student`s Association (AISA).
Kavita Krishnan, Secretary, All India Progressive Women`s Association, demanded strict laws to deal with crime against women and implementation of Justice Verma Committee recommendations which was appointed by the Centre to look into ways to check crime against women after a 23-year-old paramedical student was brutally raped and tortured on December 16 in a moving bus. She late died in a Singapore hospital.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today