Substantive work done, Monsoon Session successful: Govt
New Delhi: The Government on Saturday described as "successful" the Monsoon Session of Parliament which saw the passage of the landmark Food Security as also the Land Acquisition Bills.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said "substantive work" was done in the month-long session which had also witnessed the passage of a key economic reform legislation, the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Bill, which was hanging fire for nearly a decade due to political differences.
"We had a successful session and have passed about 16 Bills in Lok Sabha, besides introducing about eight Bills in Rajya Sabha," Nath said a day after Lok Sabha adjourned sine die.
Lawmakers in the lower House had rushed through legislative business, clearing four crucial Bills on a single day yesterday.
"Some very heavy bills - the Food Security and the Land Acquisition Bills have been passed - and both Houses on several days sat till night."
"So, substantive work has been done in the Monsoon Session of Parliament," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
The minister, however, rejected suggestions that there had been a "goof-up" in the Constitution Amendment Bill regarding appointment of judges to higher courts.
He said that the Constitution (120th Amendment) Bill, 2013, passed by Rajya Sabha, would come to Lok Sabha in the Winter Session of Parliament.
The first two weeks of Monsoon Session were marred by frequent disruptions over several issues, including the decision on a separate Telangana state as also the alleged land deals of Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra, Chinese incursions, killing of five Indian soldiers at the LoC and the fuel price hike.
The Session also saw the suspension of 12 members from Andhra Pradesh for resorting to "grave disorder".
Rajya Sabha will be adjourned sine die today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing