Substantive work done, Monsoon Session successful: Govt
New Delhi: The Government on Saturday described as "successful" the Monsoon Session of Parliament which saw the passage of the landmark Food Security as also the Land Acquisition Bills.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said "substantive work" was done in the month-long session which had also witnessed the passage of a key economic reform legislation, the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Bill, which was hanging fire for nearly a decade due to political differences.
"We had a successful session and have passed about 16 Bills in Lok Sabha, besides introducing about eight Bills in Rajya Sabha," Nath said a day after Lok Sabha adjourned sine die.
Lawmakers in the lower House had rushed through legislative business, clearing four crucial Bills on a single day yesterday.
"Some very heavy bills - the Food Security and the Land Acquisition Bills have been passed - and both Houses on several days sat till night."
"So, substantive work has been done in the Monsoon Session of Parliament," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
The minister, however, rejected suggestions that there had been a "goof-up" in the Constitution Amendment Bill regarding appointment of judges to higher courts.
He said that the Constitution (120th Amendment) Bill, 2013, passed by Rajya Sabha, would come to Lok Sabha in the Winter Session of Parliament.
The first two weeks of Monsoon Session were marred by frequent disruptions over several issues, including the decision on a separate Telangana state as also the alleged land deals of Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra, Chinese incursions, killing of five Indian soldiers at the LoC and the fuel price hike.
The Session also saw the suspension of 12 members from Andhra Pradesh for resorting to "grave disorder".
Rajya Sabha will be adjourned sine die today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon