Supreme Court seeks details of money spent on VVIP security
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday asked the Centre and state governments to give details of expenses incurred on security of public persons except constitutional functionaries.
The apex court also asked for details of security provided to persons against whom criminal charges are pending.
The order comes at a time when the nation is debating whether VVIPs are being provided more security that what is needed.
Earlier, the Supreme Court had remarked that police personnel engaged in VIP security can be used for better purposes like making the roads safe for women.
Last week, Delhi government had told the Supreme Court that 8049 police personnel are deployed for giving protection to VIPs in the national capital at a cost of Rs 341 crore to the exchequer annually.
In an affidavit filed before a bench headed by Justice GS Singhvi, the state government submitted that its total budget for VIP security for the current financial year is Rs 3,41,24,32,000 out of which Rs 38,48,76,000 are to be spent for Rashtrapati Bhawan.
It, however, refused to name in the affidavit the VIPs who are being given security and pleaded that it would file the names of around 460 VIPs in a sealed cover.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside