Suspected LeT militant sent to 14 days police custody
New Delhi: A Delhi Court here on Wednesday remanded suspected LeT militant, who was arrested yesterday outside the New Delhi Railway station, to police custody for 14 days till September 9.
The court remanded the detained LeT militant Md Aslam’s alias Yousuf to police custody after the investigating agency furnished evidence suggesting his involvement in earlier terrorist attacks elsewhere in the country.
Though, cops did not divulge much information, reports said that they have indicated towards Yousuf’s involvement in 2006 Mumbai train blast and Gujarat attacks last year.
The LeT operative is likely to be taken to Gujarat and Maharastra for further questioning. Delhi Police is believed to have contacted with Gujarat and Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist wings and also the CB-CID of Gujarat which is investigating the cases.
Meanwhile, police is investigating whether the 27-year-old suspected LeT operative arrested in the capital was part of a module planning terror strikes in Maharashtra during the festive season.
Investigations are also on to ascertain whether he had visited Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
Yousuf was caught by Delhi Police`s Special Cell about an hour before he was to board a Nanded-bound train. He was caught allegedly with four detonators, two timers and two kgs of explosive chemicals.
The arrest comes at a time when people are celebrating Ganesh Chaturthi as well as observing fast during the month of Ramadan.
Sources said Yusuf, who came to Delhi from Jammu, hails from Poonch in Jammu and Kashmir and was believed to be headed towards Mumbai.
The suspected terrorist was carrying a Jammu and Kashmir identity card bearing the name Salim Mohammed as also a Pakistani passport bearing the name Yusuf, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Alok Kumar said yesterday.
He is the third terrorist to be arrested by Delhi Police this month. On August Six, the Special Cell had arrested two suspected Hizbul Mujahideen terrorists from Daryaganj area in central Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves