Swamy demands Vaiko`s arrest over remarks against Lankan envoy
New Delhi: Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy on Thursday termed MDMK chief Vaiko`s remarks against Sri Lankan High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam as "scurrilous" and demanded his arrest.
"The scurrilous remarks of MDMK leader Vaiko against the High Commissioner of Sri Lanka Prasad Kariyawasam is an offence under Sections 124A and 125 of the Indian Penal Code.
"The Tamil Nadu Police must immediately register a suo motu FIR against Vaiko, arrest him for custodial interrogation and launch his prosecution. Otherwise, the Crime Branch in the Home Ministry should register the FIR," Swamy said in a statement.
Vaiko had yesterday sought criminal prosecution of the Sri Lankan envoy under sedition charges for allegedly trying to instigate north Indians against the people of Tamil Nadu.
Kariyawasam has blatantly violated "diplomatic immunity" by reportedly sending email to media houses recently in which he claimed Sinhalese have their origin in Odisha and West Bengal, Vaiko had said in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days