Swamy demands Vaiko`s arrest over remarks against Lankan envoy
New Delhi: Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy on Thursday termed MDMK chief Vaiko`s remarks against Sri Lankan High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam as "scurrilous" and demanded his arrest.
"The scurrilous remarks of MDMK leader Vaiko against the High Commissioner of Sri Lanka Prasad Kariyawasam is an offence under Sections 124A and 125 of the Indian Penal Code.
"The Tamil Nadu Police must immediately register a suo motu FIR against Vaiko, arrest him for custodial interrogation and launch his prosecution. Otherwise, the Crime Branch in the Home Ministry should register the FIR," Swamy said in a statement.
Vaiko had yesterday sought criminal prosecution of the Sri Lankan envoy under sedition charges for allegedly trying to instigate north Indians against the people of Tamil Nadu.
Kariyawasam has blatantly violated "diplomatic immunity" by reportedly sending email to media houses recently in which he claimed Sinhalese have their origin in Odisha and West Bengal, Vaiko had said in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani