Swamy demands Vaiko`s arrest over remarks against Lankan envoy
New Delhi: Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy on Thursday termed MDMK chief Vaiko`s remarks against Sri Lankan High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam as "scurrilous" and demanded his arrest.
"The scurrilous remarks of MDMK leader Vaiko against the High Commissioner of Sri Lanka Prasad Kariyawasam is an offence under Sections 124A and 125 of the Indian Penal Code.
"The Tamil Nadu Police must immediately register a suo motu FIR against Vaiko, arrest him for custodial interrogation and launch his prosecution. Otherwise, the Crime Branch in the Home Ministry should register the FIR," Swamy said in a statement.
Vaiko had yesterday sought criminal prosecution of the Sri Lankan envoy under sedition charges for allegedly trying to instigate north Indians against the people of Tamil Nadu.
Kariyawasam has blatantly violated "diplomatic immunity" by reportedly sending email to media houses recently in which he claimed Sinhalese have their origin in Odisha and West Bengal, Vaiko had said in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- School dropout biggest crisis in India, says Singapore Deputy PM
- Italy quake death toll hits 278, state funeral planned
- Jigisha killer Ravi Kapoor convicted in taxi-driver murder case
- Records aside, US Open getting personal for Serena Williams
- World Risk Report 2016: India ranks 77th in world disaster risk index