Tata missing from Science Congress awardees list
Chennai: The name of industrialist Ratan Tata was on Monday missing from the list of awardees honoured at the 98th Indian Science Congress here.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who inaugurated the five-day gathering of scientists, conferred awards on leading scientists and Nobel laureates, including Venkataraman Ramakrishnan-- the 2009 Chemistry laureate.
The Indian Science Congress Association President K C Pandey had announced yesterday that Tata would be presented the Jawaharlal Nehru Award by Singh for his contribution to the development of Nano car. At a press conference, Pandey had said that Tata had confirmed his presence.
When contacted Pandey said the award will be presented to Tata at a later date. He was unaware of the reason for Tata`s absence.
Besides Ramakrishnan, Ada Yonath, Thomas Steitz, Tim Hunt and Martin Chalfie were among the scientists who were honoured by the Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!