Team Anna begins registration for ‘jail bharo’
New Delhi: With battle lines drawn between the government and the civil society over the Lokpal Bill, Team Anna has begun a fierce campaign for generating people’s support for Anna Hazare’s proposed hunger strike from December 27.
Reports, Friday, claimed that the close associates of the 74-year-old Gandhian have appealed to the people to express support to Anna’s civil disobedience movement to press the UPA government for bringing a strong Lokpal Bill and court arrest in large numbers.
Key Team Anna member Kiran bedi has twitted on micro-blogging site Twitter, “Anna wants to know if you`re willing to go to jail. The 74-year-old activist is unleashing a civil disobedience movement and wants people to court arrest to protest against the government for introducing a Lokpal Bill that he finds weak.”
Bedi further writes, “Register for Jail bharo. National registration process is SMS to 575758 or call 07303150500 or www.jailchalo.com."
Meanwhile, the anti-corruption crusader is also likely to take a decision on the venue of his proposed hunger strike in Mumbai. A local court in Mumbai will today decide if Team Anna is entitled to a discounted rental of the MMRDA Ground.
The government has asked Team Anna to pay 3.77 lakhs per day for the three-day camp.
In case the government refuses to provide the MMRDA ground, Team Anna might shift the proposed agitation to Azad Maidan.
However, Mumbai Police is likely to face a tough time managing an anticipated crowd of 30,000 people during the agitation. Any spill from Azad Maidan to the streets would force a closure in this part of south Mumbai on those days.
So the Mumbai Police wants Team Anna to get special permission before shifting its agitation to Azad Maidan, which is controlled by the state’s sports department. Azad Maidan`s proximity to important offices and buildings like the municipal corporation is a major reason to worry for the Mumbai Police, which will face extra pressure to keep important roads free of traffic jams and large groups of people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why