Team to examine hazards of electromagnetic radiation in Delhi
New Delhi: The Council of Scientific and
Industrial Research (CSIR) today constituted a group of
scientists to verify claims of higher than prescribed levels
of electromagnetic radiation (EMR) in the capital.
The move comes a day after the Delhi High Court directed
the Delhi Government to constitute a committee of experts to
examine potential health hazards posed by EMR from mobile
"We have put together a team of experts under the
leadership of Director, Central Electronics Engineering
Research Institute, Pilani to look into increased levels of
EMR in the capital," Samir Brahmachari, Director General, CSIR
He dismissed suggestions that radio frequency was harmful
to humans. "There are more chances of getting burns injury on
a sea beach than by any radio-frequency emitted by cellular
phone tower," Brahmachari said.
He said there were no instances of radiowaves causing any
cell mutations in human beings.
Brahamachari said radio-frequency, used extensively in
mobile communications, has the lowest energy in the
He said microwaves come next and is used commonly in
cooking gadgets. Gamma radiations, emitted by radioactive
substances, have the highest level of energy in the
electromagnetic spectrum, Brahmachari said.
The team of experts from CSIR is expected to begin
analysing the level of EMR from mobile towers in the capital
sometime next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi