Terrorism has no place in democratic system: Prez
Agartala: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday said that terrorism has no place in a democratic system because it cannot deliver any good.
Addressing a gathering at the civic reception, organised by Agartala Municipal Council (AMC) here, he said, "Violence in any form has no place in a democratic system. Terrorism cannot deliver any good except killing people and destroying property.
"I would like to caution that those who are trying to hit the democratic system of India by violence, they are committing mistake."
Mukherjee said he could not close his eyes for a few days after the terrorist attack in Mumbai on November 26 in 2008 realising the facet of violence and had to maintain close contacts with the political leaders of different countries as External Affairs Minister of the country.
He appreciated Tripura government for being successful in combating three-decade-old insurgency in the state despite many hostilities.
"Tripura is marching ahead facing many odds. In literacy, in general growth, the state is much ahead of national parameters," he said.
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory
- Spain misses deadline for new government, June election set