Terrorism has no place in democratic system: Prez
Agartala: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday said that terrorism has no place in a democratic system because it cannot deliver any good.
Addressing a gathering at the civic reception, organised by Agartala Municipal Council (AMC) here, he said, "Violence in any form has no place in a democratic system. Terrorism cannot deliver any good except killing people and destroying property.
"I would like to caution that those who are trying to hit the democratic system of India by violence, they are committing mistake."
Mukherjee said he could not close his eyes for a few days after the terrorist attack in Mumbai on November 26 in 2008 realising the facet of violence and had to maintain close contacts with the political leaders of different countries as External Affairs Minister of the country.
He appreciated Tripura government for being successful in combating three-decade-old insurgency in the state despite many hostilities.
"Tripura is marching ahead facing many odds. In literacy, in general growth, the state is much ahead of national parameters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mahindra First Choice Services enter West Bengal
- Brexit shock: Tata Motors' stock nosedives; JLR discounts any worries
- Attention users: New malware commits data theft by the sound of your processor!
- Tattoo alert: Reasons why you shouldn't get inked with any religious symbol!
- Oops! Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah gets kissed by woman in public — Watch video