Terrorism has no place in democratic system: Prez
Agartala: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday said that terrorism has no place in a democratic system because it cannot deliver any good.
Addressing a gathering at the civic reception, organised by Agartala Municipal Council (AMC) here, he said, "Violence in any form has no place in a democratic system. Terrorism cannot deliver any good except killing people and destroying property.
"I would like to caution that those who are trying to hit the democratic system of India by violence, they are committing mistake."
Mukherjee said he could not close his eyes for a few days after the terrorist attack in Mumbai on November 26 in 2008 realising the facet of violence and had to maintain close contacts with the political leaders of different countries as External Affairs Minister of the country.
He appreciated Tripura government for being successful in combating three-decade-old insurgency in the state despite many hostilities.
"Tripura is marching ahead facing many odds. In literacy, in general growth, the state is much ahead of national parameters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?