There should not be selective treatment in sexual abuse cases: PDP
Srinagar: Amid raging controversy over sexual harassment charges against Tehelka magazine editor Tarun Tejpal, PDP president Mehbooba Mufti on Friday said there should not be "selective treatment" to influential people involved in crime against women.
Responding to a question about action against Tejpal, she said, "There should not be selective treatment and action shold be taken against all those involved in such crimes."
"You are talking about Tejpal...Tomorrow, this thing is going to die down. Unless and until the leadership of the country does not show the way, and they do not remove those people who have blots on their faces. People are going to get away with such things," Mehbooba told reporters here.
She said, "There are many politicians at the top positions facing charges of sexual harassment but they are still at higher posts," she said.
"I feel saddened as you have so many powerful women in the country`s leadership be it Sonia Gandhi, Mayawati, Mamata Banerjee, Jayalalithaa, and not to talk about the women in BJP - and...You have people...Who have against them charges of sexual assault and molestation, but they still are enjoying power. I mean nothing is being done about them," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened