There should not be selective treatment in sexual abuse cases: PDP
Srinagar: Amid raging controversy over sexual harassment charges against Tehelka magazine editor Tarun Tejpal, PDP president Mehbooba Mufti on Friday said there should not be "selective treatment" to influential people involved in crime against women.
Responding to a question about action against Tejpal, she said, "There should not be selective treatment and action shold be taken against all those involved in such crimes."
"You are talking about Tejpal...Tomorrow, this thing is going to die down. Unless and until the leadership of the country does not show the way, and they do not remove those people who have blots on their faces. People are going to get away with such things," Mehbooba told reporters here.
She said, "There are many politicians at the top positions facing charges of sexual harassment but they are still at higher posts," she said.
"I feel saddened as you have so many powerful women in the country`s leadership be it Sonia Gandhi, Mayawati, Mamata Banerjee, Jayalalithaa, and not to talk about the women in BJP - and...You have people...Who have against them charges of sexual assault and molestation, but they still are enjoying power. I mean nothing is being done about them," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands