Thomas disqualified from contesting elections for 3 years
New Delhi: P C Thomas, former union
minister and MP from Kerala, has been disqualified from
contesting elections for three years for committing corrupt
practices during 14th Lok Sabha polls.
President Pratibha Patil passed an order on May 19 after
the Election Commission gave its opinion in this regard.
The EC said it was of the considered opinion that the
"ends of justice and equity would be fairly met if P C Thomas
is disqualified for a period of three years from the date of
the Order of President".
The Supreme Court had earlier upheld a judgment of the
Kerala High Court setting aside the election Thomas, former
Union Minister of State for Law and Justice in the NDA
government and dismissed his appeal.
The High Court set aside the election of Thomas under
Section 123(3) and 123(5) of the RP Act for appealing to the
electorate to vote for him on the ground of his community and
hiring of vehicles for carrying voters.
The President had sought the opinion of the EC on the
disqualification of Thomas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata