Tiwari paternity suit: SC asks HC to decide it expeditiously
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday asked the Delhi High Court to adjudicate expeditiously the paternity suit filed against the veteran Congress leader N D Tiwari by a youth who claims to be his biological son.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and C K Prasad also dismissed 86-year-old politician`s plea against the high court order for subjecting him to the DNA test on the ground that the test has already been held and the matter has become infructuous.
During pendency of his plea in the apex court, Tiwari was subjected to the DNA test, which has established that the Congress leader is the biological father of 32-year-old Rohit Shekhar.
"As a result of the developments that have taken place during the pendency of this special leave petition before this court, it is rendered infructuous. It is dismissed as such. With dismissal of this special leave petition all applications and other connected matters are also dismissed.
"It is hoped and expected that the trial court shall proceed with the trial and conclude it expeditiously and without any undue delay," the bench said.
Rohit and his mother are involved in bitter legal battles with Tiwari as they have filed various pleas against him after the youth first moved the high court in 2008 for getting declared the Congress leader his biological father.
The high court judge, Justice Reva Khetrapal had announced the result of the DNA test in an open court saying "...As per the report, Tiwari is the biological father of the plaintiff (Rohit) and the defendant no.2 (Ujjwala Sharma) is the biological mother."
Earlier Tiwari`s several attempts to not to give the blood sample were foild by the high court and the Supreme Court which had directed him to give the blood sample.
Rohit had filed the paternity suit in 2008 for getting the Congress leader declared his biological father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Ravichandran Ashwin replaces Yashir Shah at the top of ICC bowler rankings
- Hubble peers into the core of a starburst galaxy – See pic!
- JuD medical team wants to visit Kashmir to treat injured, applies for Indian visa
- Twin suicide bombs kill 13 near Mogadishu airport
- CPI(M) Kashmir criticises DG CRPF for his comment on pellet guns