Top IM man Waqas, three others sent to police custody till April 02
New Delhi: Four suspected terrorists of Indian Mujahideen (IM), including its top member and wanted Pakistani national Zia-Ur-Rehman alias Waqas, have been sent to police custody till April 02 by a Delhi court.
According to the sources, Waqas, who was arrested outside Ajmer Railway Station on March 22, was brought to the national capital by Special Cell of Delhi Police. He was produced on the same day before a concerned judge here who remanded him to custody till April 02.
Similarly, his three associates -- Mohammad Mahruf (21), Mohammad Waqar Azhar alias Haneef (21), both residents of Jaipur, and Shaquib Ansari alias Khalid (25), a resident of Jodhpur, were arrested by the police yesterday and brought to Delhi.
Sources said these three accused were produced before the judge here yesterday and were remanded to police custody till April 2 after special cell said that their custodial interrogation was required to unearth the "entire conspiracy".
With the arrest of these four accused from Rajasthan, the special cell claimed that they have averted a "spectacular terror attack" during the upcoming elections.
Waqas was wanted in connection with several bomb blasts in the country and is considered to be a close aide of IM co-founder Yasin Bhatkal, who was arrested by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) last year along with suspected terrorist Asadullah Akhtar.
The arrest of these accused from Rajasthan backs NIA`s claim that a new module of IM has been set up in the state.
In its charge sheet filed against Bhatkal, Akhtar and two other suspected members of the banned terror outfit, NIA had said that members of Rajasthan module were "highly motivated" to carry out terrorist activities in the country.
It had also said that members of the outfit`s Rajasthan module were in regular contact with Riyaz Bhatkal, a top IM operative who is based in Pakistan.
"Investigation has also established the emergence of a new module of IM operatives in Rajasthan, the members of which were in regular contact with Riyaz Bhatkal and were highly motivated to carry out terrorist attacks," the NIA had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM