Touch wood, no terror incident this year: Chidambaram
Chandigarh: Home Minister P. Chidambaram Friday said the country needs to be vigilant to thwart the terror threat though there has been no terrorist incident in India this year so far.
"There has been no terror incident this year... Let me touch wood at the same time," Chidambaram told reporters here, adding that peace so far did not mean terror threat was over.
"We have to be vigilant," he said.
He said there were five terror incidents on an average every year before 2008.
Chidambaram was referring to one of India`s biggest terror attacks in Mumbai on Nov 26, 2008, when 10 Pakistani terrorists sailed into the financial capital and killed 166 people, including foreigners, over three days of mayhem.
He took over the country`s home minister soon after the Mumbai attack.
After that, he said, "We have had three major (terror) incidents" in India.
"Northeast has been the most peaceful last year... This year is more peaceful. In Jammu and Kashmir, we have had seven civilians killed this year. This is in single digit," he said.
The home minister said that Jammu and Kashmir has witnessed boom in tourism and already 900,000 tourists have visited the state this year.
"All of us should rejoice and pray that peace in Kashmir is durable."
Chidambaram, however, sounded caution on Maoist violence, saying it "is a problem".
"It is a difficult situation... We are pursuing two-pronged strategy... Development and police action," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’