Transport panel to hold first meeting on Monday
New Delhi: The Rakesh Mohan panel, which
was set up to assist the government to frame an integrated
transport policy, will hold its first meeting here on Monday.
"The first meeting of the committee (the National
Transport Development Policy Committee) will be held on
Monday," Mohan, who is the chairman of the high-powered
committee, told reporters here today.
The panel was set up by the Prime Minister recently and
it has to submit its report in 18 months.
Mohan said the meeting will be held at the Planning
Commission where deputy chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia will
set priorities for the committee.
Mohan said the objective of the panel is to draft a
long-term policy for an integrated transport system for the
next 15-20 years.
Mohan said the high economic growth expected in the
next 15-20 years will increase demand for transport, "both
passenger as well as freight and both domestic and
"So priorities for us is how to look at it (transport
policy) in an integrated fashion," Mohan added.
He said unlike many other countries, we do not have an
integrated transport ministry as it is spread between road,
highways, and railway ministries.
Mohan, who was the former RBI deputy governor, was
talking to reporters to announce his appointment to Yale
University faculty. He said he would be with the university
from September to December, and the remaining time he will
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey