Transporters` threaten indefinite strike from April 1
New Delhi: Transporters all over the country have threatened to go on strike from April 01 due to the recent hike in third party insurance premium, partial de-control of diesel prices and levy of anti-dumping duty on import of tyres, among other things.
All India Motor Transport Congress (AIMTC), an apex body of transporters (both Cargo and Passenger), has said that plethora of contentious issues have affected the road transport sector.
"If the government does not resolve our issues by March 30, 2013, then all operations of trucking and transportation would be suspended indefinitely nationwide from midnight of April 01, 2013," Kultaran Singh Atwal, vice president, AIMTC said here.
"We are going on strike as we are facing so many problems ... Recent exorbitant hike in third party insurance premium, issues on toll, de-control of diesel prices and its increase in small doses, anti-dumping duty on import of tyres etc.," Atwal said.
However, the essential items like fruits, vegetables and medicines have been kept out of this operation in solidarity with the "common man", he said.
The Third Party car insurance policy covers legal liability for any compensation to be paid arising from accident caused by one`s vehicle. It includes liability for death or injury to third parties like pedestrians, occupant of other vehicles, and outsiders other than passengers.
The transporters have expressed concern over third party insurance premium being hiked substantially for goods vehicles.
Asked whether the body has approached the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways for their grievances, Atwal said, "Yes...but it has been of no use. Therefore, we have decided to go on strike from April 01."
AIMTC is also demanding industry status for the Road Transport sector, fixation of minimum freight rates for the sector, action against states indulging in illegal entry and mechanical tax collection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM