Transporters` threaten indefinite strike from April 1
New Delhi: Transporters all over the country have threatened to go on strike from April 01 due to the recent hike in third party insurance premium, partial de-control of diesel prices and levy of anti-dumping duty on import of tyres, among other things.
All India Motor Transport Congress (AIMTC), an apex body of transporters (both Cargo and Passenger), has said that plethora of contentious issues have affected the road transport sector.
"If the government does not resolve our issues by March 30, 2013, then all operations of trucking and transportation would be suspended indefinitely nationwide from midnight of April 01, 2013," Kultaran Singh Atwal, vice president, AIMTC said here.
"We are going on strike as we are facing so many problems ... Recent exorbitant hike in third party insurance premium, issues on toll, de-control of diesel prices and its increase in small doses, anti-dumping duty on import of tyres etc.," Atwal said.
However, the essential items like fruits, vegetables and medicines have been kept out of this operation in solidarity with the "common man", he said.
The Third Party car insurance policy covers legal liability for any compensation to be paid arising from accident caused by one`s vehicle. It includes liability for death or injury to third parties like pedestrians, occupant of other vehicles, and outsiders other than passengers.
The transporters have expressed concern over third party insurance premium being hiked substantially for goods vehicles.
Asked whether the body has approached the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways for their grievances, Atwal said, "Yes...but it has been of no use. Therefore, we have decided to go on strike from April 01."
AIMTC is also demanding industry status for the Road Transport sector, fixation of minimum freight rates for the sector, action against states indulging in illegal entry and mechanical tax collection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced