Trauma centres to come up along national highways: Azad
New Delhi: A large number of trauma centres will come up along national highways across the country during the 11th Plan period to take care of accident victims, Lok Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Observing that accidents have increased on the new
highways being developed by the government, Health Minister
Ghulam Nabi Azad said Rs 732 crore has been earmarked in the
11th Plan for a new scheme to construct trauma care centres
along the highways.
Asked whether air ambulance system was also being
promoted, he said there was no such agency at the national
level and none in the public sector. Only one private operator
was at present providing four heli-ambulances after having
tied up with private hospitals like Apollo and Max.
On questions relating to improving infrastructure, drug
availability to ensure timely treatment for patients suffering
from fatal diseases, Azad said several measures were already
being implemented, including setting up of AIIMS like
institutions, upgrading of existing government colleges and
setting up new nursing and paramedical institutions.
Preventive measures to control fatal diseases were also
being implemented, like providing vaccines for various
diseases including Japanese encephalitis and Hepatitis B.
While a National Cancer Control Programme was being
modified to meet the gap between cancer care facilities and
trained manpower, Health Minister`s Cancer Fund has been set
up to provide financial assistance to BPL patients, Azad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam