Two Maoists get lifer in 2004 Baliba massacre
Ranchi: A special court today sentenced two dreaded Maoists to life imprisonment in the killing of 29 police personnel at Baliba in West Singhbhum district in 2004.
The special court of S H Kazmi, which had on Tuesday reserved the quantum of sentence after convicting Maoists William Marandi and Shahdeo Mahato, also imposed a fine of Rs 5000 on each.
The rebels were booked under the Prevention Of Terrorism Act (POTA).
The incident, which happened at Baliba under the jurisdiction of Gua police station on April 7, 2004, was the first major Maoist strike after Jharkhand bifurcated from Bihar on November 15, 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday