ULFA discusses charter of demands for peace talks
Nalbari: The pro-talk ULFA faction, led by
Arabinda Rajkhowa, is deliberating on the charter of demands
to be taken up during its peace talks with the Centre.
A closed-door meeting of the outfit`s executive body at
Helasa in Nalbari district since Sunday studied the
proposals, handed over to them by Sanmilita Jatiya Abhibartan
(SJA), a group of intellectuals to facilitate talks, a top
ULFA leader said on Monday.
The meeting will also discuss issues raised by SJA,
reflecting aspirations of the Assamese people, before
submitting its own charter of demands to the Centre, the
The SJA charter demands constitutional amendments to give
Assam greater control over their natural resources, revenue
generation, participation in the planning process, ensuring a
secure demographic situation, besides accelerated and balanced
Handing over the document to the ULFA chairman at a
function in Guwahati last Saturday, SJA convener and Sahitya
Akademi winner, Hiren Gohain, expressed hope talks would lead
to positive results.
Gohain said, "I am hopeful the talks will be fruitful
as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has made it clear that the
Constitution was flexible and necessary changes could be made
to fulfill the aspirations of the indigenous Assamese."
Rajkhowa told reporters at the Guwahati function the
outfit would press for a time-bound dialogue with the Centre
so that talks did not drag.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues