Unprecedented proposal to make Manmohan Prez candidate: CPI(M)
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Thursday termed as "unprecedented" the proposal to make Prime Minister Manmohan Singh a candidate for Presidential poll, saying it shows lack of principle that ties the UPA coalition.
Reacting to Mamata Banerjee-Mulayam Singh Yadav proposal to have either Singh or APJ Abdul Kalam or Somnath Chatterjee as candidate for the post, CPI(M) Polit Buro member Brinda Karat said it was something "unprecedented" that the name of the incumbent Prime Minister was being discussed for Presidential post.
"It is really for the UPA leadership to answer this question. It is unprecedented that the name of a sitting MP should be suggested by the government`s own allies," Karat said.
"It really shows the utter lack of any principles which ties this coalition. It is for the UPA leadership to respond to this," she said.
She said today there are six names, tomorrow may be three more names will come. "This is not a game of names," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31