Unprecedented proposal to make Manmohan Prez candidate: CPI(M)
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Thursday termed as "unprecedented" the proposal to make Prime Minister Manmohan Singh a candidate for Presidential poll, saying it shows lack of principle that ties the UPA coalition.
Reacting to Mamata Banerjee-Mulayam Singh Yadav proposal to have either Singh or APJ Abdul Kalam or Somnath Chatterjee as candidate for the post, CPI(M) Polit Buro member Brinda Karat said it was something "unprecedented" that the name of the incumbent Prime Minister was being discussed for Presidential post.
"It is really for the UPA leadership to answer this question. It is unprecedented that the name of a sitting MP should be suggested by the government`s own allies," Karat said.
"It really shows the utter lack of any principles which ties this coalition. It is for the UPA leadership to respond to this," she said.
She said today there are six names, tomorrow may be three more names will come. "This is not a game of names," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?