Unprecedented proposal to make Manmohan Prez candidate: CPI(M)
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Thursday termed as "unprecedented" the proposal to make Prime Minister Manmohan Singh a candidate for Presidential poll, saying it shows lack of principle that ties the UPA coalition.
Reacting to Mamata Banerjee-Mulayam Singh Yadav proposal to have either Singh or APJ Abdul Kalam or Somnath Chatterjee as candidate for the post, CPI(M) Polit Buro member Brinda Karat said it was something "unprecedented" that the name of the incumbent Prime Minister was being discussed for Presidential post.
"It is really for the UPA leadership to answer this question. It is unprecedented that the name of a sitting MP should be suggested by the government`s own allies," Karat said.
"It really shows the utter lack of any principles which ties this coalition. It is for the UPA leadership to respond to this," she said.
She said today there are six names, tomorrow may be three more names will come. "This is not a game of names," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot