Unprecedented proposal to make Manmohan Prez candidate: CPI(M)
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Thursday termed as "unprecedented" the proposal to make Prime Minister Manmohan Singh a candidate for Presidential poll, saying it shows lack of principle that ties the UPA coalition.
Reacting to Mamata Banerjee-Mulayam Singh Yadav proposal to have either Singh or APJ Abdul Kalam or Somnath Chatterjee as candidate for the post, CPI(M) Polit Buro member Brinda Karat said it was something "unprecedented" that the name of the incumbent Prime Minister was being discussed for Presidential post.
"It is really for the UPA leadership to answer this question. It is unprecedented that the name of a sitting MP should be suggested by the government`s own allies," Karat said.
"It really shows the utter lack of any principles which ties this coalition. It is for the UPA leadership to respond to this," she said.
She said today there are six names, tomorrow may be three more names will come. "This is not a game of names," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA