UP Congress suspends 2 leaders for hoarding stunt
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Congress on Wednesday suspended two office bearers for putting up hoardings stating party president Sonia Gandhi is unwell and urging her daughter Priyanka to contest upcoming polls from Phoolpur constituency.
"UPCC president Nirmal Khatri has directed the district unit of Allahabad to suspend secretary Haseeb Ahmed and Srishchand Dubey, on whose names the hoardings were set up in the busy Civil Lines area of Allahabad," UPCC spokesman Dwijendra Tripathi told a news agency.
"Some outsiders are getting these things done into the party and are depicting party chief Sonia Gandhi as unwell and the party has taken a strong note of it," he said, adding, that if required a case would also be lodged against them.
Tripathi said Sonia Gandhi is ably looking after party affairs and leading it but some people are out to damage her and party`s image.
According to party sources, hoardings on the same lines had come up in Allahabad during the Assembly elections but it was ignored.
The hoardings that came up in Allahabad declared Sonia Gandhi as unwell, Rahul Gandhi as overburdened, and urged Priyanka Gandhi Vadra to contest from the constituency of Phoolpur and help the party return to power for a third time.
The Phoolpur constituency was once represented by late prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
The hoarding also carried pictures of Sonia Gandhi, Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi besides that of the two suspended leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore