US city passes resolution condemning Gujarat riots
Washington: A US City Council has passed a resolution condemning the 2002 post-Godhra riots in Gujarat and expressed concern over the "denial" of justice for the victims.
The resolution, passed this week by the City Council of Harvey, Illinois, expressed solidarity with the victims, including those who died in the Godhra train fire on February 27, 2002.
"The Harvey City Council condemns the Gujarat pogrom of 2002 as a gross violation of human rights and a failure of the law and order machinery in the state of Gujarat," the resolution stated, expressing concern over "denial of justice" to the surviving victims "despite worldwide condemnation".
The resolution also said there have been very few arrests and even fewer convictions arising out of the cases registered during and after the "mass killings".
City Mayor Eric Kellogg presided over the meeting, which was attended by four other voting council members, and members of the public.
"There are times when events in far-flung parts of the world not only move our hearts, but strengthen our resolve to always stand up for truth and justice. The horrific massacres that took place in the Indian state of Gujarat in 2002 is one such event," Kellogg said.
He said the fact that such an incident took place in the birth place of Mahatma Gandhi, was "especially shameful".
Kellogg hailed the Indian-American community in Harvey for their contributions in the field of relief, charity and social services, and resolved to raise funds for the victims of the Gujarat riots.
The passage of the resolution has been welcomed by the Indian American Muslim Council (IAMC).
With a population of over 30,000, Harvey is considered as a suburb of Chicago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says