‘US-India military ties on positive trajectory’
Washington: Notwithstanding some "barriers" and "challenges" in Indo-US defence ties, the two countries are on a positive trajectory to step-up military-to-military cooperation, a top American commander said on Thursday.
"Always challenges. Always challenges. I mean, we`re two large democracies and that are in different parts of the world that have a very valuable view from each perspective of how the world looks.
The fact that we have those different views makes it even more important for us to have good military relationships. So they are positive," Admiral Samuel Locklear, Commander of the US Pacific Command told Pentagon reporters.
Locklear was recently in India as part of the US delegation led by Secretary of State John Kerry to attend the India-US Strategic Dialogue in New Delhi, on the sidelines of which he met top Indian military and defence officials.
"We are on a good upward trajectory with our military-to-military relationships at the service levels, in particular with the Indian military. We continue to increase in both size and complexity the type of exercises that we do together," he said in response to a question.
"As you know, we also had an initiative to try determine how we can do more defence trade with each other, and how to remove barriers on both sides, bureaucratic barriers, that are keeping us from being able to do cooperative military procurement projects together," Locklear said referring to the talks between US Deputy Defence Secretary Ashton Carter and National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon on increasing defence trade between the two countries.
"Carter has been involved directly with their (India`s) national security adviser, Menon, to try to ensure that we can come up with a better understanding of how we can get past that. So I would say that we are in a positive trajectory with our mil-to-mil, on both sides," Locklear said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket