`US looks forward to enhance military-to-military ties with India`
Washington: The US is looking forward to enhancing military-to-military relationship with the India, a top American military commander has said.
"We look forward to enhancing our military-to-military relationships with India. A couple of years ago, President Barack Obama reiterated that we will need to build a long-term, better and stronger relationship with India, and that includes our military-to-military participation," Admiral Samuel Locklear, the leader of American forces in the Pacific told Pentagon reporters at a news conference.
US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel is scheduled to visit India next month, immediately after fifth India-US Strategic Dialogue in New Delhi this week, which would be co-chaired by Secretary of State John Kerry and India`s External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
Hagel`s trip to India, the details of which have not been announced so far, is expected to give a big boost to defence ties between the two countries.
"I would recommend that he (Hagel) recognize that - and to relay to his (Indian) counterparts there that we`re interested in building closer military-to-military relationships," Locklear said in response to a question.
"We have had for a number of years very good relationships between our services, between PACOM and the services there, and we have an ongoing number of exercises that seem to have worked pretty well for our growing partnership. So we look forward to the road ahead. We think it`s all positive," he said.
Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby said, "India is an important country in the region. We look forward to continuing to make the relationship stronger and better."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials